Sunday, June 14, 2015

2015 Season, week 2

May 23, 2015

This week's harvest:
Oakleaf Lettuce
Cylindra Beets
Swiss Chard
Cilantro
"Red Russian" Kale
"Easter Egg" Radishes
Garlic "Pigtails" Scapes

This week's farm news:

The week was lovely and remarkably cool. We had slight fears of getting a frost on Friday morning, but thank heavens all is well. We set out some more transplants: more melons, basil, squash, and lettuce. A whole lot of cultivation was done as well, both by hand and with the tractor, so the gardens are in pretty good shape right now.

This week we also sheared my ten Shetland sheep, thanks totally to our good friends at Hill and Hollow Farm. (I'm so excited to have a giant pile of wool to play with! I plan to keep some for hand spinning but hope to send some off to a mill to be made into yarn... who knows? Maybe I'll even have some for sale at market one of these days!) So our friends came with their handy-handy electric shears and made short work of all those sheep. With my hand shears it probably would have taken me days to finish the task! So me (and my back) are super thankful for the shearing helps!

Have a great week, y'all, and happy Memorial Day!

No comments: